ICC Releases 2013 Statistics: New York Most Favored Seat in the U.S.
New York is Seat in 63% of New U.S. Cases
The International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”) has published its 2013 Statistical Report (abstract here; subscription required for full access). The statistics reflect New York’s dominance as an arbitral seat within the United States, with 63% of all U.S. ICC cases seated in the city. The report also shows that parties chose New York law to govern their disputes in a majority of cases under U.S. law. The highlights:
- The ICC Secretariat registered 767 new cases in 2013; of those, 22.8% involved parties in the Americas.
- U.S. parties were involved in 8.2% of all ICC arbitrations in 2013, ahead of parties of German nationality at 6.6%.
- New York is one of the six most popular arbitral seats worldwide, along with Paris, London, Geneva, Zurich and Singapore.
- New York was chosen as the seat in 63% of U.S. cases.
- New York law was chosen to govern the parties’ disputes in 52% of cases, ahead of California and Texas at 13% each and twelve other states at 2% or 3% each.
NYIAC is a proud supporter of the
3rd Annual GAR Live New York Conference
September 19, 2014
Speakers to include:
Jose Astigarraga, Astigarraga Davis
Julie Bédard, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
John Fellas, Hughes Hubbard & Reed
Paul Friedland, White & Case
Mark Friedman, Debevoise & Plimpton
Miriam Harwood, Curtis Mallet-Prevost Colt & Mosle
Jean Kalicki, Arnold & Porter
Loftis, Vinson & Elkins
Wendy Miles, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr
Annette Magnusson, Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
Klaus Reichert SC, Brick Court Chambers
Panel Discussions will feature :
♦ The Year in Review
♦ GAR Live Symposium
♦ Innovation in International Arbitration
♦ Witness Examination: Is there a point?
When: September 19, 2014, 9am – 6pm
Where: University Club: One West 54th Street New York, NY 10019
For more information, and to register, click here
NYIAC members, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for special discount!